Types of Urethral Toys
Urethral play can be an exciting and interesting new experience for anyone looking to broaden their horizons. When it comes to buying your toys though, there can be a lot of choice and you might not know which is for you. There are four types of urethral toys, each with their own designs and sensations.
Penis plugs tend to be the first type of urethral toy someone will experiment with. They are usually quite small, and will only penetrate a few inches into the urethra. Most penis plugs will have a T-bar or ring at one end, which stops you from inserting the toy too far and losing it.
A penis plug will most often be made from either silicone or stainless steel. Aside from the material and stopper at the end, they can be as varied as any other type of sex toy. Some are smooth, making them easy to insert and hold, while others may have ridges or patterns on the surface, providing different sensations to the nerves within the urethra. Sometimes they will be more cylindrical in shape providing the same amount of girth for the length of the plug, or sometimes they will be tapered, providing additional stretch the further you insert it.
Aside from the simpler, more traditional designs, plugs can vary even further. Some are designed to be worn for much longer periods of time, and will be hollow. This allows bodily fluids to pass through them while you wear them. Others might even incorporate small vibrators, or electrical impulses to further stimulate the urethra.
Urethral sounds are probably the most popular type of urethral toy available today. While these were historically used in medicine to help treat disorders of the urethra, they have become much more commonly used as a recreational toy.
Sounds are longer than penis plugs, and are able to penetrate much further inside the body. They are usually made from stainless steel, although some silicone variants are available. The standard design is simply a large rod which you insert into the urethra, and depending on length, can penetrate the entire length of the urethra even reaching the bladder.
While the most traditional sounds are simple straight rods, there are many variants which are all shaped differently and provide different sensations when used. Variants include:
- Hank Sounds: These sounds are great for beginners. They are double ended, with each side of the sound being a different size. They also feature a small bump a few inches down the sound. These bumps are very useful as they stop you from inserting the sound too far.
- Hegar Sounds: Possibly the most common type of sound used for sexual pleasure. These are also double ended, and feature a curved S shape. The curve makes them very comfortable to insert in the urethra.
- Pratt Sounds: Pratt sounds are more of an intermediate urethral sound, designed for people with a decent level of experience. They look similar to Hegar sounds at first glance, but Pratt sounds are usually longer, and have a more pronounced curve.
- Rosebud Sounds: These are another kind of sound that is suitable for beginners. They are only single sided, with the other end being slightly thicker to form a good handle for you to hold onto. They tend to be quite short, and the insertion end has a small bullet shaped piece on the end for extra stimulation.
- Van Buren Sounds: Van Buren sounds are only for the most experienced and advanced sound users. They are long enough to reach the entire length of the urethra and stimulate the bladder. These sounds have a J-shape, which allows them to comfortably follow the curve of the urethra, although it does mean they can only be inserted or removed while the penis is flaccid.
- Dittle Sounds: These are some of the shortest sounds available, and are perfect for people transitioning from penis plugs to urethral sounding. They have a straight smooth body, but the main feature is their ends. Dittle sounds have flat ends, which function perfectly as handles and can even be attached to other devices such as vibrators or electrical stimulators.
Which type of sound you go for will depend largely on your experience level, and what you want to get from the experience.
A sperm stopper is a bit like a cross between a penis plug and a cock ring. The ring part sits around the glans of the penis, across the sensitive areas like the frenulum. The stopper is usually a small ball on a curved arm, which sits nicely within the urethra. Sperm stoppers are usually only made of stainless steel, and most are the same with only variations in the rings (some have more than one), and the stopper (some may be longer than others).
Prince Albert Piercings
These are a little different, as they are a permanent piercing to your body. Once done though, the piercing can be worn as much as you like, just like any other area of the body. These provide similar amounts of sexual stimulation to the other types of urethral toys, but require a little more commitment. The piercing can vary in shape, some being rings, or just a simple barbell with balls on either end. A prince albert piercing can be done on either the top or bottom of the penis (called a reverse Prince Albert piercing). Women can also have a variant of this piercing done called a Princess Albertina piercing.
General Toy Considerations
While we have covered all of the different types of urethral toy individually, there are a few things to consider when choosing your toy that apply to all variants of urethral toy. These are material, and texture.
In general, there are two types of material used in urethral toys that you should be looking for. These are stainless steel, and silicone. They are both non-porous, so they won’t absorb bacteria and are much easier to keep clean. Other materials you might find are less suitable. Although they might be more flexible and may be easier to insert, they carry much more risk. In particular, these materials tend to be porous, so they are likely to retain bacteria making you much more susceptible to infections. They also are harder to control once you’ve inserted them, and their flexibility makes them less suitable for stretching the urethra.
You should never use toys made of delicate materials, such as glass, in your urethra. If they break, you’ll be in a lot of trouble.
An often-overlooked part of urethral play is the stimulation you get from the surface of your chosen toy. Many toys are very simply designed with a smooth and consistent surface. This is perfectly fine, and can give you plenty of strong stimulation when used.
There are though, urethral toys that are a little bit different. They still are penis plugs or urethral sounds, but rather than a completely smooth design, they might have bumps, patterns, or even beads along the shaft. While these probably aren’t ideal for beginners, experienced users can draw a lot of pleasure from the extra stimulation these designs provide.
Hopefully this article will have cleared up some questions you had about the types of urethral toy available to you. In most cases, it should be quite clear what you’re interested in, so choosing a toy shouldn’t be too difficult. Just be sure that whatever you buy, it’s made of a good material that you can keep sterile.