What is a Penis Plug?
When you begin to explore the world of urethral stimulation, the penis plug will probably be one of your first stops. It’s simple enough that it doesn’t require too much learning or practise to use, but flexible enough for you to experience your first urethral sensations, and do a little exploring.
What is a Penis Plug?
A penis plug is a relatively basic device. They are small in size, and are intended to be inserted into the urethra. Plugs will usually be made of stainless steel and have a T-bar or ring at the top to stop it being inserted too far.
Penis plugs can be used by both sexes, and produce similar sensations when inserted. The female urethra is shorter than the male one, so some plugs may be designed with this in mind. Female penis plugs are often called urethral plugs.
What Are Penis Plugs Used For?
Traditionally, a penis plug is used to help open the urethra in people who suffer from urinary tract problems, much like urethral sounds. While this use is entirely medical, some have taken the idea further, and experiment with using these devices for pleasure. This pleasure comes from the stimulation of the nerves and body parts around the urethra.
The urethra is an incredibly sensitive part of the body. I’m sure you’ll be able to remember a time when it was painful to urinate. Most of the time these feelings are centred around the urethra. With a little practise, you can stimulate these nerves just to the point of pleasure, with no pain.
The main use of a penis plug is during masturbation. Due to the sensitive nature of the urethra and shape of the plug, they are difficult to use during regular sex. Some still like to try it, but it’s advised to use a condom with this kind of activity.
Penis plugs can also be used as part of a BDSM style relationship. The dominant can take control of the plug, leaving the submissive completely at their mercy. Some couples who enjoy pain play also like to use their penis plugs to inflict light pain on their partner. It’s usually advised to be very careful with this kind of activity, as it is very easy to damage the urethra.
Why Do People Use Penis Plugs?
Despite their strange and potentially cringe inducing nature, a penis plug obviously has some positive uses. Otherwise why would people attempt to put something in such a sensitive area? The benefits aren’t for everyone, but for those who enjoy them, they can be some of the most intense and satisfying experiences they have.
For men, penis plugs can have a big impact on your erections. They usually give you a much harder erection in a relatively short amount of time. Some even claim their erections are as hard as diamonds!
Ejaculation is also impacted by the plug too. While the plug is in, his ejaculation is restricted so when the plug is in, he can’t. This means that when the plug is removed, the ejaculation can be much stronger and shoot much further.
While wearing a penis plug, all the sensations around the urethra are heightened. At its most basic, it’ll feel like things are being stretched down there. This stretching heightens the sensitivity of all of your nerves though, so every touch from a tongue or hand will feel ten times more exciting. For some people, even the slightest touch will have them on edge, approaching climax incredibly quickly.
Another reason people use penis plugs is simply to accessorize. The plugs can have rings, hoops, or jewels on them. These can make it look like your lower regions are pierced, so not only do they bring extra sexual pleasure, they can make you look good too. These decorations can be quite helpful if you’ve been considering a genital piercing, but aren’t quite sure if you want to go through with it yet. While wearing the plug you’ll get an idea of what your genitals will look like once pierced.
Dangers of Penis Plugs
Given the nature of a penis plug, it’s understandable that their use can come with some level of risk. Urethral toys are one of the most dangerous kinds of toys you can experiment with, so it’s important to be careful at all times.
The main risk is from infections. The urethra is incredibly good at absorbing bacteria from objects. This is fine if it’s something that is meant to go in your body, but if your urethral toys have bacteria on them they’ll be absorbed too, and can lead to urinary tract infections. Anything that enters the urethra needs to be completely sterile before use. It’s advisable to only use non-porous urethral toys, made of silicone or stainless steel. These absorb the least bacteria and are the easiest to sterilise.
The tissue of the area is also extremely delicate, so it can be easily torn or punctured if you are too rough with it. All urethral play should be done in a careful and controlled manner. Even if you’re incredibly horny and want to get stuck in, you still need to take the same amount of care.
When using them in some kinds of sexual activity, you’ll need to be more careful with it than normal. The plug rubbing on softer tissue can cause some abrasions or irritation. During any form of sexual intercourse, or when performing oral sex, it’s important to be constantly aware of the position of the plug, just in case something goes wrong.
Another risk is from the plug being pulled out. While most sexual activity won’t cause you any issues, intercourse and oral sex are ones to be careful with. Having the plug yanked out it likely to be very painful, so if you do engage in these kinds of play be sure to be a little more gentle than usual. Never use a penis plug during anal sex, as if it gets pulled out it may become stuck in the rectum or colon and need to be surgically removed.
Types of Penis Plug
While the majority of penis plugs follow the same basic formula, there are a few variations on the theme. Most of the time these variations will be quite small, but can have drastic effects on the sensations you experience during your urethral play. Some of the most common ways a penis plug can vary are:
- Shape: Most penis plugs follow a very standard cylindrical shape. Some can be tapered though, getting thicker the further you insert them. This gives your urethra a bit more of a stretch.
- Length: Penis plugs will never be super long, but they can vary in length for slightly deeper penetration.
- Decoration: You might find some penis plugs with more unusual parts on the end. Rather than simple rings or bars, they might have different shapes, or even jewels inset.
- Texture: While most penis plugs are as smooth as possible, some will have textures along the surface. These can be rings, raised patterns, designs, or even small balls a bit like anal beads.
- Vibration: In more recent years, penis plugs have begun to appear which contain vibrators. These provide incredibly intense sensations by constantly stimulating the sensitive nerves of the urethra.
- Electrical Stimulation: While it will be rare to find a penis plug with this built in, some people like to add a little shock to their urethral play. They attach the plug to a tense unit, which provides small electrical shocks while you wear the plug. In general, this isn’t advised.
- Hollow Plugs: If you plan on wearing a penis plug for a longer amount of time, you might wonder what you do when you need the loo. Luckily some plugs are designed to be completely hollow, so you can still expel bodily fluids while you wear them. These plugs will often have a small ball which screws on the end to cover the whole while it isn’t needed.
- Sperm Stoppers: While these aren’t specifically penis plugs, they are a variation on the theme. Sperm stoppers sit around the head of the penis, and a small arm penetrates the urethra. Some sperm stoppers have longer arms that others, so they can give much of the same sensations with some additional penile stimulation.
Whichever penis plug you decide to go for, how you use them is mostly the same. Once you’ve experienced the feeling of something stimulating your urethra, you might wonder why you never tried it before. A penis plug is the perfect toy to start you on that journey.